Days of Service
Join us on Sunday, April 19, from 9 AM to 12 PM
for our next day of service!
Twice a year, we gather for a potluck breakfast at 9AM before departing in groups to serve our community. Some projects occur here in the church building or on our property, for example: working on our farm, making chew toys for rescued dogs, or making “Welcome Home” cards for newly housed people who have experienced homelessness. Off-campus projects include: stream clean-ups, raking leaves for neighbors in need, or visiting people in nursing homes. We value these opportunities to join together, in a service day for all ages, to support our surrounding community. Our next Service Day will be on April 19. Do you have ideas for a project? Contact Ruth Campbell. Most projects are eligible for SSL and community service hours.
Sign-up Now to Volunteer
Imagine a community that makes the world a better place . . .
Ongoing Local Projects
We want to make a lasting, sustainable, practical and relational impact on economic justice issues in our local community. The needs are numerous and can sometimes seem overwhelming, but through a prayerful process we have prioritized two particular areas for engagement: food and education. The pursuit of justice and equity in these areas brings together the work of our community farm, racial reconciliation team, and Guatemala partnerships.
Here is a list of a few ongoing projects to participate in:
- During the school year, we deliver pre-packed bags of food to contribute to Greencastle Elementary School’s food-in-backpacks program, providing grocery staples to help cover weekend meals for identified families in need. Download a list of needed items here. For more information contact Jennifer Hair or Ugo Samuels.
- Recently, Cedar Ridge initiated an advocacy project in support of after-school programs for schools in our area. For more information on this, contact Melinda Anderson or Rachel Anderson.
- During our farm’s growing season (typically between April-Oct) we grow fresh, chemical free produce to benefit the hungry in our local area. Sign up on the farm page to help plant, weed, water and harvest produce.
- Weekly distributions of farm food are in collaboration with the Manna Food Center. If you are interested in delivering this year please contact Tinica Mather or sign up online.
- We need volunteers to cook and/or serve meals on the third Saturday of each month at Sophia’s House. We cook in our individual homes and then bring the items to the women’s shelter, arriving at 6:15 pm and serving until about 7:30 pm. Kids are welcome–bring the whole family! For more information or to sign up, contact Caroline Ferrante.
- We also take birthday books to three local elementary schools: Greencastle, Riverdale, and New Hampshire Estates. Coordinators are needed to replenish the stocks periodically. For more information, please contact Marianne Warner.
- Please pray for economic justice. Despite feeling the odds are stacked against our work at times, we at Cedar Ridge have hope and believe the world can be a wonderful, amazing, light-filled place! You can pray for our work in general, and for the people we come in contact with through our outreach partnerships.
Student Service Learning & Community Service Hours
Cedar Ridge has many opportunities for earning Student Service Learning (SSL) hours or community service hours. In particular, the farm, property workdays, special events such as the Harvest Festival, and our regular Days of Service provide ideal opportunities. For more information on upcoming opportunities, please contact Ruth Campbell.