The Meaning of Miracles
Discussion Questions for Week 4: Jesus Wept
1. What insights did you gain from the message this past Sunday? What was most helpful for you? What was difficult for you?
2. Read John 11: 1-57. What strikes you most about this passage? With which characters do you most identify and why?
3. Read Luke 16: 19-31. How might this story relate to the one above? How does this story in Luke challenge you personally, and in what ways might the story in John help us to respond?
4. Read the story of Jesus’ resurrection in John 20:1-9. In what ways is it similar to the story of Lazarus? In what ways is it different? Are these the same kinds of resurrection? What do you see as the significance of this?
5. The speaker on Sunday suggested that the resurrection Jesus is talking about in John 11 is much more than physical resuscitation of a body. Read the following passages where Jesus talks about the “divine life” he experiences and invites us to share. For each passage consider: What does Jesus mean? How does this apply to me? What might this look like in my life?
- John 10:30-39
- John 12: 20-36
- John 17:20 -23
6. Read John 11: 33-38. Jesus is very emotional. Why do you think this is?
7. The speaker on Sunday suggested the John 11 story presents us with 3 “Resurrection Challenges” to consider
- The people’s perspective: Are we holding back from God?
- The Jesus’ perspective: Are we engaged with humanity?
- The Lazarus perspective: What needs resurrecting in us?
Break into groups of 2 or 3 to discuss these more personally and then pray for one another.
Other Discussion Questions in this Series
Download discussion questions for The Meaning of Miracles Week 4: Jesus Wept
Download discussion questions for The Meaning of Miracles Week 3: Standing Tall
Download discussion questions for The Meaning of Miracles Week 2: When Pigs Fly
Download discussion questions for The Meaning of Miracles Week 1: The Miracles of Jesus