We want to make a lasting, sustainable, practical and relational impact on economic justice issues in our local community. The needs are numerous and can sometimes seem overwhelming, but through a prayerful process we have prioritized two particular areas for engagement: food and education. The pursuit of justice and equity in these areas brings together the work of our community farm, racial reconciliation team, and Guatemala partnerships.
Here is a list of a few ongoing projects to participate in:
- During the school year, we deliver pre-packed bags of food to contribute to Greencastle Elementary School’s food-in-backpacks program, providing grocery staples to help cover weekend meals for identified families in need. Download a list of needed items here. For more information contact Jennifer Hair or Ugo Samuels.
- Recently, Cedar Ridge initiated an advocacy project in support of after-school programs for Greencastle Elementary School. For more information on this, contact Melinda Anderson or Rachel Anderson.
- About three times a year, as a congregation we share a potluck breakfast together and then send teams out into the community to serve in various projects.
- During our farm’s growing season (typically between April-Oct) we grow fresh, chemical free produce to benefit the hungry in our local area. Sign up on the farm page to help plant, weed, water and harvest produce.
- Weekly distributions of farm food are in collaboration with the Manna Food Center. If you are interested in delivering this year please contact Tinica Mather or sign up online.
- We need volunteers to cook and/or serve meals on the third Saturday of each month at Sophia’s House. We cook in our individual homes and then bring the items to the women’s shelter, arriving at 6:15 pm and serving until about 7:30 pm. Kids are welcome–bring the whole family! For more information or to sign up, contact Caroline Ferrante.
- We also take birthday books to three local elementary schools: Greencastle, Riverdale, and New Hampshire Estates. Coordinators are needed to replenish the stocks periodically. For more information, please contact Marianne Warner.
- Please pray for economic justice. Despite feeling the odds are stacked against our work at times, we at Cedar Ridge have hope and believe the world can be a wonderful, amazing, light-filled place! You can pray for our work in general, and for the people we come in contact with through our outreach partnerships.